October 27, 2014

Beef Stew -- for a non-beef stew lover

Before we get too far into things, I think it is important to state a few facts.

  1. I cook. A lot.
  2. I like to cook things that make me stronger, happier, and healthier.
  3. I LOVE to cook things that are sweet, unhealthy, and fix a little spot in my soul.
  4. I hate stewed meat.
  5. Pot Roast and Beef Stew are at the top of my "No Thanks, I am good" list.

Well, until this Beef Stew entered my little world. Ben's Beef Stew from Iowa Girl Eats husband. Knocked my socks off, albeit I did modify it a bit b/c I was out of a few things and well I needed to deglaze the bottom of my pot before it was scarred for life. This is so good I am eating it for breakfast... That has never happened in my world. Me, eating beef stew two meals in a row.

I didn't take any pictures, considering I was doubtful it would turn out much less I would blog about the meal. I mean, I don't blog about my food, much. But this - this was so good. Here are her directions, with my modifications added. I seriously suggest you try this one.

Ben's Beef Stew (with some Misty modifications)

Serves 4-6
Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried rosemary (I don't do flowers in food, so I used Sage)
2 carrots, chopped small
2 ribs celery, chopped small
1 large shallot, chopped - (Scratch this) 

1 Packet of Onion Soup Mix
4 cloves garlic, minced

4 oz Cabernet wine
 salt and pepper
8oz button mushrooms, sliced
3 Tablespoons butter, melted
3 Tablespoons flour
1-1/2lbs stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
32oz beef broth (Used Beef Bouillon)
2 bay leaves
1 cup frozen peas (Ha! I totally forgot these and it didn't register until looking at this...)


Directions:
  1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large soup pot over medium heat. Add dried thyme and rosemary then sauté for 30 seconds. Add carrots, celery, shallots, and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and then sauté until vegetables are browned and tender, 10 minutes. While the vegetables are cooking, pour onion soup mix, 4 bouillon cubes, and 4 cups of boiling water into a bowl to dissolve soup and bouillon. Turn heat up to medium-high then add stew meat, red pepper flakes, lots of salt and pepper, and then sauté until meat is browned, 8-10 minutes. Add mushrooms then sauté until tender, 7-10 more minutes. Deglaze pan with red wine.
  2. Whisk together melted butter and flour in a small dish then add to pot and stir to coat meat. Cook for 1 minutes then stream in beef broth onion soup mix. Turn heat up to high and bring stew to a boil then add bay leaves. Place a lid on top, turn heat down to medium-low, and then simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
  3. Remove lid then simmer for another 1-1/2 hours, or until meat is tender and stew is thickened, stirring occasionally. If stew begins to thicken before meat is tender, place lid back on top. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if necessary then add frozen peas and cook for 2 minutes. Remove bay leaves then serve over mashed potatoes.
We served this with white rice - and it was gooooood!

Have you ever cooked something that you don't necessarily like (for the loved ones in the house) and ended up liking it a lot?

5 comments:

  1. Okay, this is going on next week's meal plan immediately.

    I once made bacon-wrapped dates because my husband had them at a work event and loved them. I thought they sounded disgusting, but wow, was I wrong.

    PS: I get to drink the leftover Cabernet, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um yes ma'am. Oh next time you make those bacon wrapped dates, stuff them with an almond. HOLY SHAMOLY, seriously - drool-worthy :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you mind if I link to this recipe? I made it last week, and I'm not even kidding when I tell you my husband asked if we could just eat this for the rest of winter! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please do! Sorry I missed this request earlier in the week.

    ReplyDelete